Tuesday, December 2, 2008

2008: The Legacy

Well, it is December now, and I have decided quite a while ago that I would compile a top 10 of 2008 list (or something similar). I was planning on waiting until maybe the end of the year, but Hype sent me an email asking for my top 10 of the year, so the decision was really made for me. But anyway, it was actually very tough deciding what would make and would not make this shortlist, because there was really quite a good mix of music out this year. Unfortunately, In Rainbows will not be on here, since it came out late last December. However, it would have definitely received the number one spot. I've also debated whether or not to include EP's in my shortlist, and then decided to also separately post the top EP of the year (because it's too good to exclude, but still technically is not a full album).

So without further ado, here is my list. The top 10 of the year.

#1: Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
This album was in tight competition with Intimacy, and for the longest time I could not pick a winner. But I have decided on Vampire Weekend because it is just beyond extraordinary. It fully deserves my pick as album of the year. Not to mention Vampire Weekend was officially named the whitest band in existence by Stuff White People Like. Follow that link for a laugh at the expense of indie elitists.

#2: Intimacy - Bloc Party
Very, very, very close second. Like, if it were to be assigned a numerical value, I'd say it was 1.97x10^-88 points away from being numero uno. So, basically negligible. For all intents and purposes, it was a tie. But anyway, this is definitely the greatest Bloc Party album to come out ever. Far greater than even Silent Alarm. Every single track is exemplary. Go out and buy (or "acquire..." they're signed on with Warner) this album right now.

#3: Modern Guilt - Beck
Beck strikes again, but this time with the help of Danger Mouse. I mean, having collaborated with Banksy and mixed Jay-Z with the Beatles, Danger Mouse knows his shit. And he brought Beck to a whole new level of greatness. Weighing in at just 30 minutes, this album is an all-too-short wonder. But if you manage to get your hands on "Vampire Voltage No.6" and "Bonfire Blondes," both of which are extraordinary, then you can take the Modern Guilt experience to a whole new level.

#4: 808's and Heartbreak - Kanye West
Don't listen to the crazy people giving this bad reviews. They are just afraid of change. For those of us with open minds, however, listen to this right this instant, because this is quite possibly his best yet. Especially amazing are the tracks "Paranoid" and "Robocop."

#5: Narrow Stairs - Death Cab for Cutie
No, it's not just the artwork that's good about this one, although yes, the artwork is pretty amazing in itself. Solid album the whole way through. I actually didn't like "I Will Possess Your Heart" at one point. That was because the radio version omitted the 5 minute intro. Also, it grew on me after hearing it more and more (album version... still dislike the radio edit). This is another great album of 2008.

#6: Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Coldplay
Making record sales in the UK in these times of "drastic sale decreases of audio recordings" is definitely an accomplishment in itself. And while a record's sales should not be a reason to go out and buy said record, they should also not be a reason to dislike it either (*ahem*indie elitests). I really enjoy this one, and it actually got me into Coldplay, because I never used to like them all that much.

#7: Oracular Spectacular - MGMT
As often as Time to Pretend played on the radio (followed of course by Electric Feel), it was very hard to hate it. Even after all the extended play of the song, it was just so damn catchy that you couldn't stop listening. I find I get a little bored of this one about 3/4 of the way down, but it starts out so strong that it makes up for it. Kids is probably the best track.

#8: Jack Johnson - Sleep Through the Static
This is a good chill-out album. There is nothing intense on here whatsoever, just one Hawaiian and his guitar. Kind of has a reggae feel to it. Good music to just mellow out to.

#9: Elephant Shell - Tokyo Police Club
This is a good one from a canadian group. They have a trippy lightshow at their concerts as well. What I like about this one is that there is only one song over 3 minutes long. Good for people with ADD. What I also like is the bonus remix disc that comes with it, which has 5 remixes on it, one of which was done up by Dntel. It's worth checking out.

#10: Dear Science - TV on the Radio
I only briefly have checked these guys out, but they seem very legit. I'll have to look into them a little bit more, because what I have heard is very good. No, I am not making excuses for not having 10 albums this year. Not at all.

Honorable Mention: Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires


Best EP:
Welding the C:/ - Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker
Watch out for these guys in the near future; they are making a bang. Already gaining popularity in Ontario, they will be taking us all by storm. Look out for a full length from them, but in the meantime, if you can find it, pick up "Welding the C:/". Meaning BUY it. No multinational media conglomerate involved. Proceeds go to good people only. And that's the truth, with some ketchup on it.
Honorable Mention: Prospekt's March - Coldplay

Best Compilation:
Juno Soundtrack - Various Artists
This was a little bit of a no-brainer. While Nick and Norah has Ottoman, this has an entire CD of quirky, awesome anti-folk, which is always a great thing. Best soundtrack since... well... Across the Universe...
Honorable Mention: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist Soundtrack - Various Artists

And that would be my retrospect of the year 2008. Don't like it? That's your problem. Chances are you have stopped reading by now anyway. I'm out. Maybe I'll be back later with some Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker for you.

No comments: